What Are Inlays and Onlays?
It can be the case sometimes that the holes caused by broken teeth or decay are too big to place fillings, but do not warrant a full cover crown. In a situation such as this, we would recommend the use of porcelain inlays or onlays.
Porcelain inlays/onlays are larger lab made ‘fillings’ constructed of porcelain that fit into or onto the tooth depending on the size required. They are an ideal solution for teeth that don’t have enough strength to support a white filling but there is enough tooth to avoid placing a crown.
The main advantage of porcelain inlays / porcelain onlays is that they are that they are much more durable than white fillings, lasting up 20 years, this is because porcelain inlays/onlays are precision bonded in place, thereby increasing the structural integrity of the entire tooth.
Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
- Aesthetically pleasing – they blend in seamlessly with your surrounding teeth
- They are handcrafted to fit your teeth snugly and are precision bonded in place
- Very durable and long lasting, able to last up to 20 years
- They are conservative and do not require as much tooth removal as a crown
- If you have worn, broken down teeth, or have large and unsightly fillings that were perhaps placed many years ago, An inlay/onlay may be a suitable option for you.